Old August 20th 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Sunscreen for bicycling

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 7:29:00 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:05:16 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Does anybody have suggestions for sunscreen to wear while bicycling?

My cancer doctor said to use zinc sunblock on fresh scars. (My
current scar is under my hatband, so all I use is E-oil and a white
linen do-rag.)

I'm currently using Kroger's knock-off of Neutrogena 70; when it runs
out, I plan to start snitching my spouse's Neutrogena 100, so as to
use it up faster.

I used to use a cheaper sunblock on my arms and legs, but when it ran
out, I began to put the same stuff everywhere. I usually coat only
the outside of the calf muscle on my legs, because that is where I got
a brown streak when I could ride that long. I rub my arms together
like a cricket, and put an extra layer on what sticks out of my
sleeves. (In hot weather, I wear long linen sleeves -- and on my last
few rides they got soaking wet without spitting water on them.) I
still have brown, speckled arms. And there's a patch on the back of
my hand even though I put on another layer of 50-SPF sunscreen every
time I take off my gloves.

The stick sunscreen is running out and I haven't yet found another
that fits into my pocket. I recently realized that I can put lotion
into a lip-salve box -- if I can find one that isn't identical in
every way to the box I carry A&D in.

I used to carry hand cleaner in my tool kit. A&D cleans hands just
fine, and has a lot of other uses. Also, nowadays, I fix flats with
my cell phone, so I don't need a grease remover.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Well, I can recommend the Neutrogena 100+. Did a long hard ride mostly in direct sunlight yesterday and my tan didn't change at all.