Old August 29th 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter

Default which torque wrench?

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
newsan.2006.08.28.22.00.39.317126@firstnamelastn ame.com.invalid...
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:38:16 +0100, Steve Watkin wrote:

Should I buy for general bike work?

I've got 3 torque wrenches, but don't use them for bike work, relying on
calibrated wrists.

Seriously, you need to get a feel for tightness, after all by the side of
the road you won't have your torque wrench handy. I can only think of one
nut/bolt on any of my bikes where rigorous attention to tightness is a
necessity, and that's the rear wheel axle for horizontal drop-outs. Maybe
seat pillar too, but with my sylph-like figure (cough) I don't need to
worry.

That's fine if you've used a torque wrench and know what you're aiming for.

If you've never used a torque wrench, then just how tight should the below
feel (using standard sized spanners/allen keys)?
5-7 Nm (eg front mech and cleat bolts)
9-11Nm (eg stem clamp bolts)
35Nm (eg pedal to crank)
50Nm(eg bottom bracket)