Old January 30th 20, 11:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Default Assembly of Di2

Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 6:07:40 PM UTC, Duane wrote:
On 1/29/2020 10:05 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 11:01:22 PM UTC-8, Tosspot wrote:
On 29/01/2020 02:36, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Is this a trick question? If your battery is showing 8v, it's not
dead. No? Why would load matter -- except for measuring capacity. I
understand the battery may have a protection circuit, but wouldn't
that decrease the measured voltage?

I don't have an EE degree, but I measure batteries with a multimeter
all the time to see if they are alive or dead, and if one showed 8v
it would not be dead. I think you messed something up. Just check
the quality of your connections. Do you have the little tool?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkdY9q-u5Dk If you're not fishing
wires, it's really pretty fast and easy. Its the fishing that takes
time.

A battery will often show volts but not be able to pwoer anything. You
should measure the voltage in circuit if possible (i.e. under load), or
just check the voltage of an old PP9 you have lying about (smoke
detector battery). If you have a *lot* lying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hwLHdBTQ7s

I would think that if the battery is showing full voltage, it would
have enough amperage to run an LED at the junction box unless there was
something really weird about the protection circuit, but I'll leave
that to the electronic gurus. With Tom, it always turns out to be
something mundane like a wrong part or a mis-description, like his very
unique BB which turned out to be a standard 68mm ISO BB. The project
should take an hour or so and not months.

-- Jay Beattie.

Irrespective of Tom's abilities, it's not uncommon for a battery to show
voltage without a load and be dead.

More precisely, to die the moment a load is put on it, and to resurrect
itself after the load is removed, hence the universal consciousness of
rising on the third day.

Andre Jute
Hallelujah!

I prefer the Schrodinger cat analogy. The battery is dead and not dead
until you connect a load to it.