Old August 22nd 08, 04:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Schwalbe Marathon Plus Failure

On 22 Aug, 02:19, "
wrote:
On Aug 22, 9:03 am, Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk
wrote:

I've learned several things from the experience:
1) carry an old toothpaste tube in the repair kit, with the ends cut
off to save space.

I've mentioned it before, but a section of a tyvek envelope sounds
more suitable than a toothpaste tube, and has saved a couple of rides
for us (including 60 miles on a fully laden tandem). It is really
tough stuff, but very easy to use.

These sound like fine kludges. I thought I would mention
that I have repaired a mountain bike tyre that
had the bead seperate due to brake block abrasion,
by stiching it with ordinary needle and thread obtained
from a nearby hotel. As far as I am aware (not my bike)
the tyre perfomed flawlessly for the rest of the day. Of course
the pressure was lower than that typical in a road tyre so I would
suppose that any tyre distorsion would be less.