Old April 14th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

Default Is there any bike related postings here anymore?

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:03:47 -0700, (Tom
Keats) wrote, in part:

The seat post out of Yorick fits so
they'll share it until another exercise bike with a 25mm seat post
shows up.

Yeah, I dunno why longer 1" seatposts are so hard to find.
The apehanger thing intrigues me, in terms of my own purposes.
Having a lot of handlebar real estate can be nice.

I have a long 1" seat post. It's too large. This one's twenty-five
point zip on the caliper.

A petite artsy tall-biker nerdgrrl I know did this abstracted version
of an inosilicate molecule with her extra real-estate.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...monkeybars.png
\
The fenders and baskets will be the items driving up the budget. The
bike shouldn't cost more than seventy five dollars when it's done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Heh. You say that now ;-)

I scrounged 3 doz. 12ga spokes off Donald but have yet to see if they
fit the hub drilling. A-1 had black plastic fenders for $19.95
including GST. Folding rear baskets are going to be thirty (less 15%)
so that leaves less than ten bux in the budget for a front basket
unless I use one of the news-boy baskets kicking around. I've not yet
looked for a front brake. The headlight will probably be a fork mount
uni-block generator just to keep me legal.

It would be kewl if our indigenous artisans would weave
bike-specific baskets while integrating traditional
Native motifs & themes into them. Bike baskets with
local appeal ... hmmmmm ...

A large enough fishing kreel might also make an
interesting & practical bike basket. Maybe stick
some sort of insert into the hole in the lid,
to make a cup/bottle holder.

Bike-buckets and a milk crate haven't yet been ruled out.
Nor has wrapping the whole frame in rattan or hemp twine. Returning
the plastic fenders and buying bamboo to fabricate fenders,
chainguard and rack. Then use some natural material baskets from
Chinatown to complete the look.

I'm afraid with a creel on the front I'd want a rubber fish tail
sticking out of its lid.
--
zk