Old September 2nd 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Jeremy Vine stopped from cycling

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...by-police.html

-----QUOTE-----

Speaking on Ken Bruce's BBC Radio 2 show, Vine admitted he felt
"slightly abashed" after being stopped by the officer and had not
realised he had been doing anything wrong.

He said he had been having a family picnic in the London park at the
weekend - and before being spoken to, he had explained to his five
year-old daughter that the policewoman was there to look for bad
people.

The award-winning news reporter, who also has a Radio 2 programme, is
known for his presenting work on Panorama and Newsnight.

He said that after the picnic: "We get back on our bikes and then we
get stopped. We're not allowed to cycle there... I had no idea.

"She (the policewoman) said: 'It is an offence' and I was very
apologetic.

"I said: 'I didn't see the sign' and she said: 'Well you should have
done'.

"We all had to climb off and walk a mile. Meanwhile, everyone's
bombing past us on their bikes."

He continued: "I didn't know it was wrong I should stress... I do
believe in being law abiding... Fair enough, if that's the rule,
that's the rule."

Vine added: "The embarrassing thing is that I do the whole lecture to
my daughter about this is what the police are for, to catch bad
people, and it turns out I'm one of them. So she's now totally
confused."

-----END QUOTE-----