Old October 11th 19, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Vocabulary: was: AG: Living the dream

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 05:48:28 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 13:36:51 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 11:12:44 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I got off at the beginning of the mowed
beyond-the-ditch.

Is there a name for a clear strip to the right of the shoulder and
ditch?

I suspect that it depends on the location as the land right up to the
ditch may well be private property. Think city property where the home
owner's lawn reaches right up to the sidewalk.

In my father's day, private property extended to the middle of county
roads. But all that got you was the privilege of paying for the
gravel and grading and snowplowing. And a vote on whether or not to
pave.

I'm reasonably sure the strip on McElroy Hill belongs to the gravel
pit or whatever that one can glimpse through the trees when walking,
mowed for public relations purposes.

I makes me think of Albany County: the ground slopes down steeply
starting at the edge of the strip, and needs those trees to hold it in
place. But, unlike Albany County, not so steep that if I fell over
the edge, I'd land in a tree top.

I also see strip lawns between major roads and fields owned by
seed-corn companies and the like. I don't think the Hoosier Farmer
has ever mentioned the practice, but Dave reads it much more closely
than I do.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net