Old January 12th 20, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Road Rash

My plastic surgeon (now retired) was very big on putting Vitamin-E oil
on a healing wound as soon as the stitches came out.

He left beautiful scars. Every time he took a cancer off, I'd say to
my friends "Look at my beautiful scar!" and they would say "What
scar?", and I can't find the most-recent scar myself.

So I figure he knows a little something, and start putting E-oil on
minor wounds as soon as they scab over, or immediately, in the case of
burns. It works really well on burns; the skin stays flexible and
doesn't crack or peel off. Maybe olive oil would work the same way,
but a ten-dollar bottle of E-oil lasts for several years.

I started putting E-oil on my scraped knuckle as soon as I stopped
putting triple antibiotic on it, and it appears to plan on healing
without leaving a mark.

The oil should be rubbed in -- "massage it a little".

There's another trick I thought up by myself, and I *know* this one
works.

Sometimes a scrape bleeds so slowly that you get a bead of blood that
dries up into a spherical scab that's inclined to catch on things and
tear the wound open. Even when you get a nice flat scab, the wound
heals around the edges first, the scab lifts at the edges, and you're
at risk of tearing the un-healed middle open.

What you do about this is to take a long hot bath (or wash a load of
dishes, depending on where the scab is), then put a thick layer of
soap on a plastic pumice such as is sold for smoothing calluses, and
rub the scab VERY GENTLY until it's worn flat, thin, and flexible.

I imagine that keeping the scab oiled would help to keep it flexible;
I haven't had road rash since long before I got cancer, so I can't
say.

Come to think of it, that scraped knuckle, which I faithfully kept
oiled, never cracked or tore. But then, it was such a small wound
that I didn't notice it until I wondered where all that blood was
coming from. (I didn't realize that it was blood at first, and
thought it was red ink from the bag of chips I had just retrieved from
behind a cabinet.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net