Old November 29th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

Default Best Way To Carry Pepper Spray ?

Steve Sr. wrote:
::
:: Do any of you have any suggestions on a good way to carry pepper
:: spray to be used against vicious canines? I have recently started
:: carrying some to use against a problem dog on my lunch time ride.
:: Since I know where the dog is I have been carrying the pepper spray
:: in my pocket and taking it out before I get to where the dog might
:: be loose.

My pepper spray canister came with a velcro band that goes around a bike
tube. I put mine on the top tube. There is a velcro patch on the canister as
well. You could make a strap and use the iron-on velcro to secure that to
the strap. Strangely enough, since I bought the pepper spray, all I have
ever needed to do was wield my water bottle as if it were a rock. Grab the
bottle and put it near your ear and shake it as if you are going to throw a
fastball. It seems all dogs know this action and will shy away instantly.
At first, I thought, "Oh great, if I throw it, I lose a $10 water bottle!"
but I have never had to go ahead and fling it. shrug whatever works....

: Next question... What do you do about a dog that has been hit point
:: blank with pepper spray about 3-4 times by myself or co-worker yet
:: still continues to try to attack the next day? The dog is a female
:: pit bull who immediately breaks off the attack when hit with the
:: pepper spray but will come back for more the next day.
:: Unfortunately, this dog is smart enough not to get hit by traffic
:: yet dumb enough keep getting pepper sprayed.

Steve, this dog needs to be reported to the authorities. It is just a matter
of time before someone gets mauled.

Pat in TX