Old August 12th 18, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Flat repair

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 22:41:25 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/11/2018 8:04 PM, Andy wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 2:20:57 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/10/2018 9:02 AM, Andy wrote:
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 7:47:58 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/10/2018 1:14 AM, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

Pathing covered in images 4 through 8 he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

If you find a way to escape flat tires do write back.

One way is to not ride. :-)

One thing that helps is to ride away from the gutter. If you ride on the
section of road that's routinely contacted by car tires, you'll find
it's swept clean of most debris.

Lots of glass shards, wire bits etc. get tossed out of that area toward
the far right, where most cyclists like to ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Interesting.

We have frequent street sweepers, so the bike lane is usually pretty clean.

That must be nice. In my area, the street sweepers arrive just twice per
year. And in my area and in other towns I ride in, it's absolutely
normal for the bike lane to have much more debris than the road surface.

About ten to 15 years ago, I cycled a fair amount in the area around
Portland OR, America's renowned bike city. I recall when passing though
a Portland suburb, my daughter and I were laughing at the amount of
trash, broken glass and gravel we had to avoid in the bike lanes. "Why
is this better than the regular traffic lane?"

I once asked a bike advocate out there and I was told that in the city
proper, it's no problem. When you spotted some trash in a bike lane, you
just had to fill out a form telling the location, mail the form, and the
city would sweep it as soon as possible. I thought "Great. That means
it's going to be there for a week."

That happened before the internet was well developed. Jay can tell us
what system they use now around Portland. But as I say, around here the
"system" is to let the debris lie for up to half a year.

:-) In this remote and primitive country we have "road sweepers".
People that work for the highway department and sweep the streets.
They wear a uniform and seem to come to work about 05:00, or
thereabouts and apparently work an 8 hour day.

It appears that each sweeper is assigned a specific section of road
and I know, from talking with the sweepers that there is an inspector
that comes around to inspect their work.

As bicycles here are considered as vehicles and get to use the roads
just like other vehicles do we don't have "bike lanes" and simply ride
on the side of the road.... which is swept and clean :-)