Old August 12th 18, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Flat repair

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 22:47:34 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/11/2018 10:07 PM, Andy wrote:

Most of my flats show up when I am at home where it's easy to fix.

I should care a spare.

Absolutely! A spare tube, plus a patch kit in case of a two-flat
disaster day. And whatever tools are necessary to make the change.

Should I get one of those mini pumps or is one of those CO2 rigs worth it?

I remember one club ride where several CO2 rigs failed or were wasted -
for example, by trying to fill a tube that still had a hole in it. The
victim eventually borrowed my full sized frame pump to get on the road
again.

So I'd prefer a pump over CO2. And I prefer a full sized frame pump over
a mini pump, since the typical mini pump requires hundreds of strokes to
inflate a tire.

But others disagree, of course. YMMV.

I don't believe I've ever pumped a tire with a fill length pump and
always wondered. Can one pump up 100 psi pressures with a full length
pump?