Old September 15th 03, 01:41 AM
Mark Weaver

Default recessed vs non-recessed cleat on clipless pedal shoes

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
t...
"Mark Weaver" wrote in message
This should make everyone shudder -- with my road bike I use sneakers

and
powergrips. No problems at all walking when I get off the bike

So other than a bit of weight & aerodynamics, what am I really giving up
over clipless pedals?

Sneakers are fine for short rides, the flexible soles aren't that great

for
intense riding or long rides.

Well, I'm doing hour to hour-and-a-half training rides at 20-22 mph average.
Is that too long or intense for flexible soles? I do distance running in
flexible soled shoes too--why should biking be harder on the feet or require
more support than running?

Powergrips are OK, but they can trap a foot in a fall. They're nowhere

near as
secure or easy to get into as something like SPDs.

Hmmm. Never had that problem. I can get of them quickly -- with the same
basic motion as used with clipless pedals I believe. That is, twist your
heel out, strap loosens, pull out foot. Seems to me that the only way your
foot could get trapped would be if you forget to twist your heel out. I've
heard stories, though, of people unable to release clipless pedals and
taking spills.

Mark