Old August 4th 05, 05:49 AM
Bean Long

Default Chain / Sprocket Cleaning

Aaargh! That's disgusting! Just an ordinary chain breaker and an old jar
full of kero would be my first thoughts. Alternatively, I sometimes use one
of those chain washing rigs that hook on to your chain/rear derailer and
fill it with kero. You'd probably want to replace the kero in the rig about
20 times on that lump of muck! Not sure how these two methods compare but
I've always been happy after using the hook on rig.

Good luck.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
"1013" wrote in message
I would like to remove my chain to clean it properly since there is a lot

of
build up of dirt and grime. I am pretty sure the chain is a Shimano chain
and I have read that you need special tools to remove it.

Is there a single rivet that needs to be removed or does every link along
the chain use a rivet which can be removed? The problem is my chain is so
dirty I cannot see a thing.

How much does the tool cost to remove the rivet? Are master links which
allow easy chain removal just as strong as rivets?

Thanks in advance.

Photos of the chain, etc:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/chain1.jpg