Old October 31st 03, 06:57 PM
S. Anderson

Default Spoke threads exposed on new wheel - Safe?

"Dave S" wrote in message
om...
Last night, I built a new rear wheel for cross riding using a Record
36 hole hubs, a Ritchey OCR Comp rim (called Trekking on web site) and
DT 14/15 spokes.

On inspection, I noticed that the left side as 2-3 threads exposed all
around whereas the right side has 5-6 threads exposed. I'm comcerned
that the spokes are too short and I don't have enough threads embedded
in the brass nipples.

Is this wheel safe or should I rebuild it with longer spokes?

Rebuild it. 1 or 2 is ok in a pinch. 5 or 6 is NFG. Especially on the
drive side.

Cheers,

Scott..