Old March 12th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Wide Range -- 17 speeds

aka Mike A. Schwab wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:59 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Adam Kadlubek wrote:
On 12 Mar, 13:26, The Dougster wrote:
Hi!
I use:
24 / 35 / 51 x 11 / 13 / 16 / 19 / 24 / 28 / 34
chain rings and cogs on my Thunderbolt recumbent.
On a recumbent the cross chaining issue is non existant. Use all gears
you can

On my RANS Rocket in the 62/28 combination, the "lower" pulley on the
SRAM 7.0 (long cage MTB) derailer becomes the "front" pulley with the
cage nearly parallel to the ground. If I went to an 11-32 or 11-34
cluster, the chain would either be too short for big-big or would go
slack in the small-small combination, so there is a limit, unless an
additional chain tensioning device (e.g. Easy Racers) is used.

Please Honor The Signature Separator, i.e. "-- ".

Big + Big is 51 + 34 = 85 teeth + chainline (crankshart to drive wheel
axle).
Sml + Sml is 24 + 11 = 35 teeth + chainline (crankshart to drive wheel
axle).
Difference is 50 teeth or 25 inches, would require a 13 inch
derailer / tensioner.
No wonder my chain goes slack when I hit the bottom rear gear.

Is this on the RANS V2?

My Rocket Big+Big: 62+28=90 teeth.
Small+Small: 39+11=50 teeth.
So a 40 tooth or 20-inch difference, which the derailers just can handle.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll