Old February 27th 12, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Thinking Outside The Box

Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:
dustoyevsky wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
Those whacky guys who brought you the Euro are at it again:

http://transportationnation.org/2012...ies-allowing-b...
Paris "rampant with cyclists?" Not when I was there in '02. I mean,
that was ten years ago...

Loved the (approx) "cyclists must yield to motor traffic"-- well yeah!
One way or the other...

Agreed.

Excuse me, but as I've tried to teach my kids, the reason you actually
stop at red lights and, especially, stop signs, since those carry more
"ignore" temptation, is so you can stop driving, or cycling, or even
walking, and pay attention to *looking*. Twice. How many times have I,
while cycling, had a motorist "not see me" even though they looked
right at me and maybe even made eye contact (!) because they didn't
want to see me? (Answer: "lots").

Agreed. Situational awareness - while in motion - is not for everyone
(I guess).

If a cyclist runs a red light and gets smushed, my sympathies are more
with the motor vehicle operator. Not an experience to be wished on
anyone, and said in spite of the many times I've been used as a pylon
or otherwise "as an object of aggression".

Agreed. The blithe idiot is not just hurting himself. But I'm not in
charge of him. Why should his stupidity dictate what I must do?

Y'all are doing a superb job of shifting the ethical burden of
piloting stinking death boxes from the offenders to the victims. What
makes you believe it's inherently OK to imperil other people's lives
by using a deadly machine with a grievously faulty control system,
just because someone's too worthlessly lazy to use his own effort?
Y'all are cyclists, for crissakes. If this is the prevailing attitude
among people who should know better, it's no wonder that hit-and-run
assaults are out of control and the authorities are doing nothing to
fix the problem.

But hey, your convenience is far more important than other peoples'
lives and well-being. This is an opinion shared by almost all
motorists, so it must be true.

At least we can all enjoy the consequences of the hideous
unsustainable resource gluttony of cars. Energy scarcity and the
resultant skyrocketing operating cost is probably the only thing that
will cure us of our stinking death boxes (if we don't die from them
first).

Chalo

Maybe we should make railroad crossing lights optional as
well. And remove the gates, which drivers evade regularly.

(after which, news reports semantically twist the event to
'tragedy', often reporting 'train hits car' as opposed to
'driver ran light')

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/