Old February 7th 16, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Virtual Stop signs

On 2/6/2016 10:01 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

There is a virtual stop sign at the mouth of every driveway, alley,
parking lot, and anywhere else that something that isn't quite a road
intersects a road or a street.

One seminar I attended advised teaching little kids to recognize
"edges." As they described it, there was an "edge" where a sidewalk
crossed a driveway; or where it crossed a street; or where a driveway
entered a roadway, and so on.

They claimed that it was possible to train kids to recognized "edges" as
hazards that required looking both ways.

I suppose that could work. It's a shame, though, that a similar lesson
hasn't been drummed into motorists, with the expectation that they would
yield to any pedestrians at an edge. Motordom won that one.

--
- Frank Krygowski