Old May 30th 04, 04:45 PM
Mike Vandeman

Default Why Do You Ride Mountain A Bike On Streets?

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:28:55 +1200, "Westie"
wrote:

..James Lynx wrote:
.. I'm curious about something. I have been reading this forum on
.. Mountain Bikes and notice that a lot of you either have two mountain
.. bikes, one for mountain biking, and one with street/road tires for
.. riding on the street, or you have one bike and you have two sets of
.. tires/rims, one with knobs for the mountain biking and one with street
.. tires.
..
.. Curious why you choose to ride a mountain bike on the streets instead
.. of a road bike. I am getting back into riding bikes after a 20 year
.. break from it. I'm 36 and used to ride a BMX Team Mongoose which I
.. still have but am too big for it now. I never liked your traditional
.. 10 speed bike, or as they call them now street bikes. I was even
.. considering fixing up my Mongoose and riding it again on the streets
.. but realized that I'm too big for that bike. I could do it but it
.. wouldn't be a pretty site. So the next logical step would be to get
.. another bike. Okay which one? I don't care for road bikes. They are
.. cool for some people but for me not my cup of tea so to speak. Okay
.. so what do I get a cruiser or a mountain bike? The cruiser I tried
.. was very nice. Very comfortable bike but I think I wanted something
.. more durable and also the option to jump off curbs and occassionally
.. ride on dirt. So I go for a mountain bike. Not a high end mountain
.. bike BUT a pretty good Fuji Discovery II. I think it's a good bike.
.. So far so good. I still kinda want to get a cruiser bike but for now
.. the mountain suits my needs. I changed the tires to street/road
.. tires because the tires with knobs create too much resistance in my
.. riding and it gets hard to ride especially in hilly areas where I
.. live. Maybe one day I'll get a cruiser and ride that on the street,
.. put mountain bike tires back on the Fuji and go off roading.
..
.. So why do you ride a mountain bike on the road instead of riding a
.. road bike or even a cruiser?
..
..Did I miss something or didn't you answer your own question?
..If you don't like road bikes, don't want a cruiser, feel too old to be
..riding a BMX and do want something a little more robust to jump off kerbs, a
..mountainbike is a logical choice.

What's the big attraction of "jump off kerbs", other than trying to wreck your
bike?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande