Old April 28th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default The case for cycle lanes

On 28/04/2018 00:38, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:40:59 AM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
On 27/04/18 05:31, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:44:05 AM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
On 26/04/18 02:43, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNNIB_PdaA

Maybe there is a case for well-designed bike lanes which actually lead
somewhere and connect to things but in practice this will happen very
slowly.
I am not sure how he rides bikes, but sure there are many inconsiderate
bicyclists. Just like there are many inconsiderate [insert flavour of
the month here].
In general I find roads and motorised traffic not much of a problem. But
then I do crazy things like being visible and predictable, signalling
intentions, stopping for red lights and pedestrians, giving way when
required, riding with the traffic and not against it, and other such
stupid things. Then drivers also do stupid things like give way to me,
give me room, give me a cheery wave (no doubt like they are humouring a
lunatic) and so forth.

Not all cyclists are as confident as you and I.

I have been a cycle commuter for 30 years and have no problem allowing motorists to share our roads but I would still rather have segregated cycle ways.

Fair enough.
I am just pointing out that it will not happen overnight.

It's all about attitude.

Why does this work in Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoG2HrYx8k

But we are told it would be suicide for UK cyclists.

Who said it works?

"Working" is a concept which includes the outcomes for all users.