Old May 7th 04, 01:15 AM
Ryan Cousineau

Default Roberto Gaggioli is a piece of crap

In article ,
"Chris" wrote:

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

Until Adam posted, I did not know or recall what role the police played.
However, I was considering that USAC suspended Mercer for a year, so I
didn't know whether USAC factored in legal charges/findings or suspended
Mercer on their own accord. I still don't know whether legal charges
factored in USAC's decision, but very seldom in major sports are legal
charges filed when a player is fined/suspended. Did Bill Romanowski have
charges filed against him when he beat up his teammate in the locker room
last year?

I dunno, but in hockey the police have been getting involved in some of the
really outrageous attacks. Considering that assault and battery is within
the rules (ok, you go to the penalty box) I would say that counts for
something. It seems to me that in most cases where I thought the local
prosecution should get involved, they have. IOW I do not see any scary
trends where athletes are not able to get justice.

The essential difference is that of consent. The general theory is that
when you participate in a sporting activity, you consent to the norms of
that sport. So if you race a bike, you implicitly consent to incidental
contact in the pack, and if you play hockey, you consent to normal
levels of bodychecking and fisticuffs.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club