Old May 6th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bdbafh

Default How much should one spend on a bicycle?

On May 5, 9:26 pm, Ablang wrote:
I know that a lot of details would factor into this, but I am
wondering what bicycle enthusiasts consider when buying a new (or
used) bike?

I guess I don't want to underspend and end up w/ a piece of cra*, but
I also don't want to overspend and risk having it get stolen.

I would like to use it for daily exercise and going to the store (not
more than 10 miles one way).

From your post, it sounds to me as if you intend to lock the bike up
at times.
How much would you care if when you returned, it was not where you had
locked and left it ... and you had to start over again looking for
another bike?
There is your starting point.

Piece of crap bikes get stolen from the train station as well.
I had one that was barely able to get me less than 2 miles each way,
and it didn't last a month of commuting before it was gone. That thief
did me a favor.

used - try craiglist.org for the beater.
then get yourself a nicer one that you don't lock up and leave for
exercise, after you're sure that you're going to use it.

-bdbafh