Old May 6th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default How much should one spend on a bicycle?

Ablang wrote:
I know that a lot of details would factor into this, but I am
wondering what bicycle enthusiasts consider when buying a new (or
used) bike?

I guess I don't want to underspend and end up w/ a piece of cra*, but
I also don't want to overspend and risk having it get stolen.

I would like to use it for daily exercise and going to the store (not
more than 10 miles one way).

I'd advise the Schwinn World Avenue One Commuter Bike from Performance.
It's a good choice for rides to the store, with fenders, chain guard,
and included rear rack. It often goes on sale for $400, then you can get
another 10% in a rebate by joining Team Performance.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=24141

There's always a risk of theft leaving a bicycle outside a store. If
that's a huge concern then get a folding bicycle that you can put inside
a grocery cart.