Old May 6th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Default How much should one spend on a bicycle?

Ablang wrote:
I know that a lot of details would factor into this, but I am
wondering what bicycle enthusiasts consider when buying a new (or
used) bike?

I guess I don't want to underspend and end up w/ a piece of cra*, but
I also don't want to overspend and risk having it get stolen.

I would like to use it for daily exercise and going to the store (not
more than 10 miles one way).

I think you can now get a very good bike from the LBS
at entry level prices (~$250).

"Bike" meaning mountain bike or hybrid. Seems road bikes
will run you much higher. Sounds like the mountain bike or
hybrid is just what you're looking for.

I think the higher priced bikes largely get you lighter
weight although it also means longer travel suspension forks,
perhaps disk brakes and an extra cog or two of gears.

Buy entry level or close to it. Then, if you really get
into it, or find you really do need more capability, upgrade.

The first bike then becomes the "around town beater" and the
upgrade is the "joy bike". You haven't really lost a penny!

SMH