Old May 6th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Default How much should one spend on a bicycle?

On May 5, 8:26 pm, Ablang wrote:
I know that a lot of details would factor into this, but I am
wondering what bicycle enthusiasts consider when buying a new (or
used) bike?

I guess I don't want to underspend and end up w/ a piece of cra*, but
I also don't want to overspend and risk having it get stolen.

I would like to use it for daily exercise and going to the store (not
more than 10 miles one way).

The local craigslist index shows $100 for a used but good 10 y/o
hybrid, $250 for an as new Giant Sedona or similar hybrid. Varies by
season. Last fall it was about 70% of that. Under $300 gets you last
years unused bike somebody bought for $500.