Old April 6th 07, 08:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

Default Tick Tests Positive For Spotted Fever In O.C.

On Apr 5, 9:19 am, "Mamba" wrote:
"tom" wrote in message

oups.com... On Apr 3, 5:33 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
"?Slack" wrote in message

Hope no problem, bet you'll be fine. Damn life. Tom

Actually this time I had thought I caught the greebie just as he was making
his initial incision. Apparently not.
My doc says most threats are when the critters have shared your blood supply
for 24 hours or more.

First time I was bitten I didn't find the thing until two days later after
showering. he (She, I guess, as the blood goes towards egg support) was
behind my knee and puffed to the size of a pea. The second one I found in a
more sensitve location - let's just say it would have made for a very
uncomfortable bike ride. Again, it was pretty puffed up with blood. Those
bites had me more worried, as it was almost suredly 24 hours or more by the
time I found them.

Cheers
Gary

This is true, the longer they're chewing on you, the greater the
chance of infection, as one of my "rescued" dog can attest. 50-plus
ticks on her when I found her roaming the desert farmlands, for who
knows how long. I remember seed ticks falling off of her like
dandruff. Took us two years to rid the Ranch of the buggers. Raging
tick fever, but she's doing well now. Any idea how they're treating
RMSF these days? Tom(who'll do a google search in the morning).