Old February 24th 04, 01:37 AM
Ian Szekeres

Default YST threadless headsets

I really would like to use a quill stem on my newly purchased bike,
unfortunately it uses a threadless headset system. Since I am just
starting to ride again after 10 years, I would like to be able to experiment
some with my handlebar height.

Looking through past messages, I found the following:

There's a company that sells 1" threadless headsets (G-Force) that
attach entirely externally, allowing you to keep your threadless fork and
install a conventional stem.

and this off Sheldon's site:

The YST "GeForce" headset has a collar which slips over the steerer, and is

clamped to it with a binder bolt near the top of the collar. The outside of
this collar is threaded, and the upper bearing race screws onto these
threads. The upper race assembly is fitted with a binder bolt that clamps it
tight onto these threads when the desired adjustment has been attained.

Looking at the current YST site:

http://www.yst-corp.com.tw/bycicle2.htm

yields little information for me, unfortunately. Granted, I am using a
1-1/8 headset and the post referenced was a couple years old.

It seems as though I should be able to find some sort of locking collar to
keep my current headset compressed together, knock out the star fangled nut,
and assuming the steerer tube is a consistant thickness and not butted,
simply slide a 25.4 stem into the steerer.

I am currently using a threadless riser, and while it does let me adjust the
height, It seems like a real kludge. I miss my old stem

Any advice would be appreciated

--ian