Old July 18th 19, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default CO2 Connectors - Threaded vs Unthreaded

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 12:55:32 +1000, James
wrote:

On 18/7/19 8:02 am, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 10:50:29 +0100, Tom Evans
wrote:

On 17/07/2019 05:18, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 08:34:12 +1000, James
wrote:

On 16/7/19 3:25 pm, John B. wrote:

:-) Not necessarily so. The sitting by the roadside in the rain I
described was two "finish nails" through the tire. Punctured the first
time, pulled the nail out changed the tube and almost exactly 1
kilometer down the road punctured again, the same kind of nail. I had
used up the only spare tube I was carrying, the patches won't stick,
it is raining.

I was riding with a couple of mates on a wet day and one of them had
three punctures. After emptying his two CO2 canisters on the first two
punctures, he begged for my pump. The patch worked too.

I had some of those glue less, or whatever you call 'em, patches they
didn't stick well in the rain, or at least mine didn't :-(

In WW2 pilots were given a patch kit for the inflatable life raft they
carried, in case they had to ditch in the sea. These patches stuck even
when applied in/under the water.

I'm pretty sure I have patched tyres in the rain successfully. The
problem I remember is my cold fingers having trouble getting the tyre off.

I can't speak for your patches but I can assure you that mine didn't
stick :-)

I've only had limited success with self adhesive patches too, but normal
patches that require the application of glue to the cleaned butyl rubber
inner tube usually work, even in wet weather. You can usually use your
body to shield the patch area from direct rain. And then there's
this... https://www.butylproducts.co.uk/prod...pair-kits-pro/

"1 x 290ml tube of Adheseal for spot repairs, seam seals and repairs in
wet conditions or below the waterline."

Bicycling submariner?

Surface preparation:
The surface must be clean, dry and free of grease. Clean surfaces with
Innotec Multisol or Innotec Seal and Bond Remover. Clean plastic
surfaces with Innotec Repaplast Cleaner Antistatic. Plastic, porous or
extremely difficult surfaces must be pre-treated with Innotec
Repaplast Primer New Formula .
:-)
--
cheers,