Old July 14th 05, 02:29 PM
WiNK

Default Wrong Side Of The Road

"Jay Furr" wrote in message
"WiNK" wrote in
:

In most states in which I've bothered to check the laws, bicycles =
cars insofar as rules of the road are concerned. They shouldn't be
up on the sidewalk and they shouldn't be riding facing oncoming
traffic.

I know it's that way *now*....I am talking about in the early 70s. I
could have sworn when I went to a bicycle safety course and earned my
big, fluorescent orange flag for my bike, that it wasn't that way.

People offer dumb-ass safety courses to kids on all kinds of things. It
doesn't mean that anything they say actually has any bearing on real life.
A well-meaning group can get an idea to offer bike safety courses, tell
kids to do something, and next week a cop'll stop one of the kids and say
"you know that's against the law, right?"

--
"I wish people who had trouble communicating would just shut up."
-- Tom Lehrer

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jayfurr/

I think that is exactly what happened....I was doing some research, because
it was bugging me. My guess is laws for bicycles were a later addition...
but the bike safety courses often taught kids improper riding:
"Many cyclists make these mistakes because they were taught to ride this way
as children."

I remember riding that way til I was a teenager!

Peach