Old September 13th 05, 07:21 PM
Larry Coon

Default Madone 5.2 SL

Hans C. wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

I went through the same experience -- I had always ridden steel,
and decided to make the switch this time around. I'm glad I did--
the initial feeling you've already experienced was cemented after
I got used to the carbon bike and then went back to the steel
bike for a couple of rides.

Mine is the '04 version of the 5.2, the 5200. I think it's an
exceptional bike for the money if you're happy with Ultegra. I
wasn't, and I ended up swapping the group out for Dura-Ace. There
used to be a middle option called the 5500, which was the same OCLV
120 frame & same wheels, but with Dura-Ace components. Now it
looks like if you want Dura-Ace, the next step up is the 5.9, which
also has the OCLV 110 frame, X-Lite wheels, carbon bar & stem, etc.,
for which you pay an extra $2,100.

Larry Coon
University of California