Old September 14th 05, 02:10 AM
Alvin Ryder

Default Madone 5.2 SL

Hans C. wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

TIA-Alan

Hi,

I seriously looked at the Madone SL 5.2, a very nice bike but I ended
up getting a 2005 Giant TCR Composite 1 instead.

Both bikes have similar equipment (Ultegra...) and both weigh about the
same, 7.6kg or 16.7 lbs w/o pedals, but I could only score a great deal
on the Giant.

To start with its list price is better and with '06 models around the
corner good discounts could be had on the '05s. All up the Giant was
45% cheaper than the Trek!

As for performance the Giant also has the goods.

YMMV,
Cheers.