Old September 24th 19, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Replace Mavic MA40 Rim with... ?

On 24/09/2019 00:00, wrote:
One of my front wheel's bearing has a gouge in one of the races. It's
a Mavic MA40 rim, 33 years old, taking a 700 x 25 outer tire. The
noise is annoying. My LBS thought re-packing might fix it, and did
so. I think I should have known better. The noise is as bad as ever.

Can anyone recommend a replacement rim? I am not all that hip on what
is available by way of bike parts these days. I ride my 1986 Vitus a
few times a week, just bumping around town to relax.

Thank you.

There is nothing special about the MA40s, I had a pair for 15 years.
They will be 32 or 36 drilling, so sourcing and equivalent hub on the
cheap would be one way to go.

However, at that age I would look to a new wheel as it's bound to be a
bit thin on the walls. Give them a squeeze wit your fingers and see if
the braking surface will deflect.