Old June 20th 14, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default London cyclist mows down an MP

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:48:41 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 08:27:17 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:37:57 +0100, Judith
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:54:08 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:51:41 +0100, Mrcheerful
wrote:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/new...list-1-6683046

From the report, it sounds as if the MP was jaywalking and was hit by
a cyclist filtering past stationary motor vehicles.

I see that very biased anti-cyclist web page
(http://road.cc/content/news/121478-l...es-him-bruised)
has a different point of view:

It is unclear whether the cyclist was riding through a red light at the time,
or whether Mr Perkins was crossing at a green pedestrian signal, although from
a subsequent exchange, the implication is that the rider ignored a traffic
signal.

Political commentator Owen Jones, author of the books Chavs and The
Establishment, leapt to the defence of the capital’s bike riders, and received
a reply from the MP which suggested the cyclist had ridden through a red light.

Mind you - I find it very difficult to believe that the cyclist had a total
disregard for the law.

Of course, MPs are never evasive about facts, and are always honest
and straight talking.

I wonder how massive those bruises are...

And if the "knocking off the feet" means that he jumped backwards when
after he stepped into the road without looking.

You are quite correct: the cyclist most probably did nothing wrong at all - and
the story is a total fabrication

That is certainly a possibility, but I expect the story was based on a
real event.