Old June 21st 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Odd flats

Bang! HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Odd, no whoosh-whoosh-whoosh as the puncture spun around.

And the prolonged hiss stopped as soon as I stopped.

Well, a Slime tube can seal things like that.

But the front tire feels fine. Maybe it's the back tire? No, both
tires are fine.

Hmmm . . . Flip bike upside-down, peer more closely at tires. Nope,
both tires are fine.

Idly spin rear tire--nothing.

Idly spin front tire--HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

A dry branch goes bang! when it breaks under the front tire.

A dry leaf trapped just right between fork legs and the brake arms
makes a really impressive hissing noise if the tire just barely rubs
it.

***

Foosh!

No doubt about this puncture, flat as a pancake in an instant.

A car ran over someone's purple sunglasses, leaving a sharp and
hard-to-see lens fragment, which my front tire flipped up to greet my
rear ti
http://i48.tinypic.com/301h7ie.jpg

Made me long for a simple goathead. Reminded why I carry tire boots
and a rolled-up spare tire.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel