Old June 8th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Protecting yourself

4On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 15:59:21 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 12:43:47 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 19:24:48 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 1:28:42 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 23:47:42 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I have thought about carrying a short range cell
phone jammer while biking.

I guess you know that cell phone jammers are illegal.
https://www.fcc.gov/general/jammer-enforcement

I have given it careful thought.

Think some more.

But when traveling as a
passenger I increasingly see drivers drifting over into other lanes.
They are irresponsible idiots who are a danger to everyone.

It won't work the way you expect. Jamming a cell phone will cause the
phone to disconnect unexpectedly. The driver will wonder what
happened to their call in progress and begin finger poking at the
screen trying to re-establish the call. That's not a great idea while
moving.

Prior to your jammer being turned on, the driver was minimally
distracted. After jamming, the driver became actively engaged in
operating the phone and has become seriously distracted. You may
think that full time jamming only prevents initiating or receiving
phone calls. That might be true if you were moving at the same speed
as the traffic. However, there will be many cars passing you on your
bicycle, in both directions, some of which might be engaged in a legal
hands free phone conversation. Your jammer will disconnect their call
in progress, cause them to finger poke at the screen, and probably
cause an accident while they are distracted.

Also, there are now so a substantial number of cellular bands in use
(and growing with every FCC auction). Unless you plan to carry a
rather large box on your bicycle, it is unlikely that you can
efficiently jam all of them. At best, a simple jammer will take out
all the customers of one particular vendor, leaving the other vendors
bands unaffected.
http://www.gasiajammer.com/sale-8508330-new-all-in-one-16-channels-high-power-desktop-signal-jammer-70-meters-sheilding-range.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMOpxrs53YQ

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Any phone use whether hands free or not is distracted driver. i.e. dangerous driver

If not every phone is knocked out, no problemo.

They may figure out that their phone only misbehaves when driving.

:-)

Fred

My guess is that the immediate result of someone's phone stopping
would be an immediate flurry of shaking the phone and feverously
pushing buttons to get the damned thing to work. Rather than cause the
driver to pay more attention to driving I suspect that it would have
exactly the opposite effect and he/she/it's attention would be wholly
on the phone.

In fact we had a crash a few years ago, for a somewhat similar reason,
where a pickup drove straight into the rear of two cyclists and killed
them both. The pickup driver said that he had dropped his phone and
was bending down to pick it up and didn't see the bicycles.

For any that are interested the driver is now serving a prison term
for causing a highway death.
--
cheers,

John B.

You made my point. Driving while using phone kills.

I am waiting for a law that would incarcerate drivers who have accidents while using the phone.

Cuff and stuff em.

Andy

Singapore has a law that you cannot hold a phone in your hand while
driving however you can use a "hands free" headset. They claim that it
does reduce accidents due to inattention.They strictly enforce the law
and the penalty is, I believe, a $1,000 fine.
--
cheers,

John B.