Old June 11th 19, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Feeling strong

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 20:17:52 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 3:45:43 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 1:13:44 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 2:06:14 AM UTC-7, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

The wind was blowing so hard last Thursday that on a descent that I usually averaged about 22 I could barely hold 12. Now THAT makes you feel old and slow.

I hear you! I did a ride from Peterborough, Ontario to Toronto, Ontario one day on an MTB with full knobby tires when the wind was VERY strong out of the south. Even on t he hills and pedaling REALLY hard I could get up to about 10 kph. I thumbed a ride and a guy drove me the 20 kms to Whitby, Ontario. That guy's ride saved me 2 hours of hard slugging. Once I turned right towards Toronto it wasn't too bad.

I remember doing a multi-day ride from Toronto to my home in NE Ohio. Riding
along the south shore of Lake Erie into a blasting headwind, I was on my on my
aero bars for mile after mile after mile, watching my cyclometer say "8 mph."

It takes an immense amount of training to give as much benefit as a 10 mph
tailwind, or to overcome the effect of a 10 mph headwind.

- Frank Krygowski

The real mystery is "why is there always have a head wind when on the
way back home" ?-)
--
cheers,

John B.