Old June 11th 19, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Feeling strong

On 6/11/2019 1:31 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 4:06:14 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
Some days, on my way to work, it all feels great, I zoom along,
the bike responds beautifully, I feel strong today, wow. Then
I realise, I've got a tail wind.

--
Dieter Britz

Hmmmm???? I can honestly say I have never ever not known I have a tailwind and think I'm going fast because I am strong. I always know exactly what the wind is doing and know whether it is a positive, negative, or neutral effect.

I agree. It's easy to observe the effects of wind on leaves, tree
branches, occasional flags, etc. In fact, I once memorized a bit of the
Beaufort scale (wind extends a flag = 8-12 mph, etc.).

I've had more trouble with "false flats." I remember a hard, hot day on
one solo bike tour. I stopped in the shade and chatted with a homeowner,
telling him "I may be getting too old for this."

He said "Well, do you realize you've been gaining elevation for 20 miles?"

--
- Frank Krygowski