Old June 23rd 19, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default So what about his much-vaunted household contents insurance?

On 23/06/2019 00:33, JNugent wrote:
On 23/06/2019 00:14, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/06/2019 20:38, JNugent wrote:
On 22/06/2019 16:15, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/06/2019 13:39, JNugent wrote:
On 22/06/2019 12:55, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/06/2019 01:00, JNugent wrote:
To say nothing of his fridge-freezer policy?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-phone-pay-compensation-london

QUOTE: Hazeldean [the cyclist who ran down a pedestrian]
... said he was “reeling” from a verdict that would
leave him bankrupt. In a statement he said: “I am of
course deeply disappointed with the outcome … and
concerned by the precedent that it might set for other
cyclists. ENDQUOTE

But surely any court decision which reinforces and
emphasises the need for caution and restraint is good for
society in general?

Yes, drivers should not feel smug when they kill or injure
5800 pedestrians a year.

Who is "they"?

OK, drivers should not feel they have some sense of superiority
over this one cyclist.

I have never killed or injured anyone. Perhaps you have and
are extrapolating (incorrectly) to the population level.

This was a civil case, not a criminal one.

Full marks.

But had anyone said different?

It was not from going through a red light, riding on the
pavement, lack of front brake, "riding furiously" or any
other sin that every cyclist is supposed to be guilty of.
He attempted to avoid but failed.

The method of "avoidance" he chose was inappropriate.
Blasting on an air-horn doesn't make a collision less likely
or less dangerous. Braking hard does.

I agree. Attending to a noise maker increases the vehicle
operator's workload (adequately demonstrated in numerous
Youtube videos). The only usefulness of noise to alert someone
is when it is done with enough separation in time and distance
for them to look, realise the situation and calmly make a
course alteration.

Perhaps some people have the idea that if they give a blast
right on top of the recipient, it gives them a "lesson" and
they won't do it again. Unlikely. And there are thousands out
there that haven't had the "lesson". It might make the hooter
feel better but it won't stop someone else doing it. Best to
take a fatalistic view.

I have found that when approaching somebody stepping out
without looking it is best for them to continue in their
oblivion. The worst thing is if they suddenly look up and
notice because it makes them unpredictable.

As you may remember, I have long advocated the banning of
car-horns, bicycle bells and all similar sorts of noise-makers
(ememgerncy service two-tones an obvious exception).

They are rarely of any real productive use to anyone and are a
considerable source of noise nuisance.

Just yesterday, I slowed down, moved to the crown of the road
whilst indicating left and turned left into my driveway. The
female driver behind me must have felt inconvenienced by this.
She was following too close (thereby forcing me to slow even more
than usual in order to fursther reduce the risk of her T-boning
me as I turned and felt the need to sound her horn as she
eventually passed me (I was on the drive by then).

Merely changing direction without changing speed (downward)

He did slow down.

I didn't see the report of that.

is fraught with risk because the cyclist cannot know what the
reaction of the victim will be. The cyclist assumed that the
pedestrian would not try to get out of the way. He was wrong
in that and wrong in not attempting to avoid her by simply
stopping.

Not necessarily. If a driver pulls out and presents a 16ft long
wall in front of you, braking is the only option - if only to
reduce speed of impact. But even an unpredictable pedestrian
has a maximum radius of travel in a given time. Braking takes
longer than tracking round and getting beyond the point where
paths cross: it is better to avoid than to minimise impact. One
or other or a combination of both? It is not possible to sit at
a computer and decide on the best strategy.

Braking is always a part of the best strategy.

Often it can be. Up to now you have have used the word 'stopping'.

The words are synonyms.

Not in the slightest.

If we're lucky, that is. If we're unlucky, we run out of space before
managing to brake to a necessary halt.

About 10 years ago I was driving along an NSL country road. I noticed a
vehicle waiting at a t-junction so I lifted and covered the brake.
Had it pulled out when I first saw it there would have been plenty of
time but it did a Duke of Edinburgh on me.

The ABS was doing its stuff, giving me moments to decide whether to aim
for the driver's door or the wheels. Fortunately, the vehicle stopped
before it was halfway across the road. The other carriageway was clear
so I released the brake and skirted round.

Without that opportunity I have no idea whether my car would have
stopped short or given the other a 5mph kiss.

If you think "a necessary halt" is better than skirting round, when the
opportunity exist, then I will leave it between you and your insurance
company.