Old August 1st 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Boogaali Frames

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 9:35:31 AM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 31/07/2019 7:13 a.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 6:02:18 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 11:15:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But of course, some folks will want to be "modern" and "trendy" but
given that the "swift walker" a two wheel sort of device was built
of wood and dates to 1817 just how "trendy" is wood?

Ceramic knives are trendy, and that dates all the way back to the
paleolithic.

Sometimes there's a reason for a revival. Cast iron was dropped like
a hot potato when tin pots became cheaply available, but I cook in
little else.

In the interval between tin pots and now, cheap paper towels were
invented -- so my cast iron is eaier to take care of than my stainless
steel.

Cast iron *must* be wiped dry if it gets wet, and it *always* leaves
permanent black stains on the wiping cloth. (Which explains old
embroidery patterns for marking dish towels "glass". I.E., *not* to
be used on pots.)

And the rags had to be washed by hand. I'm still boggled by the
discovery that Mom had both my older sisters in diapers at the same
time *before* we got electricity and running water.

Me too, but we moved to town not long after I was born.

Once a cast iron pan is cured it can be dried simply by putting it on the
fire for a couple minutes. My procedure is to wash with soap and water.
No abrasives. Then wipe dry with a dish towel. then heat for a couple
minutes. My cast iron pans came with me from New Orleans and I haven’t
lived there since 1987.

--
duane

With proper care good quality cast iron pots and pans can last for generations.

Cheers

My favorite 12" frying pan came from my grandmother. They don't require
much care once they're cured unless you mistreat them.

Plus a cast iron frying pan can be cheaper to use as it holds the heat a
lot longer than the aluminium ones do. I have a small 6" cast iron frying
pan I take on all my camping trips.

One other great thing you can use a cast iron frying pan for is to warm
your bed sheets on a cold night. VBEG LOL

Cheers

Don’t know about cheaper but the better heat distribution makes them work a
lot better.

--
duane