Old August 11th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Croissant Combo

Monday, 5 August 2019

Today was the third time in a week I rode to Kilainey's to buy our
supper.

On Tuesday, I used the flatfoot and went dressed in shorts and shirt.
On previouse trips I'd squashed the carry-out box bungeeing it to the
top of the detachable basket, so this time I detached the basket and
bungeed an Amazon box to the rack. This worked well.

I got tired of kiddy-bike pedalling before I got there -- the cranks
are forward, but not forward far enough that I can straighten my legs,
even when the seat is so high that only my toe-tips touch the
pavement. So on Thursday, when I came back from Sprawlmart and
decided to buy supper after putting my jersey into a bucket of water,
I hunted up an old jersey, loaded the pockets, and rode the road bike.

I can't carry stuff in the pockets of my jeans on my road bike. Well,
I *could*, but I don't like it. I could carry a purse, but I don't
like that either.

It was much easier to bring back a sandwich on the road bike. I
carried the Amazon box in a pannier, so I didn't have to un-bungee it
before I could put the sandwich in and re-bungee, *and* it didn't take
nearly as many bungees to do the trick, since I had anchor points well
away from the box instead of under it.

So today, when I didn't lie down until after I brought the laundry in,
and rose from my nap with just enough time to dress, put corn in the
steamer, and fetch a sandwich, I dressed in the old jersey -- it's
easier to put on than the one designed for a full day of riding, and I
didn't want to get the the new one sweaty for such a short trip -- and
popped the Amazon box into a pannier.

But I'm going to have to stock up on frozen meals Real Soon Now; there
are only six different sandwiches, and Dave has informed me that he
doesn't ever want to eat Thursday's sandwich again. I wasn't very
fond of it myself; I'd be inclined to pick the thick-thick slices of
overgrown cucumber out and put in some meat.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net