Old September 12th 19, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Special clothing for the bike

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 21:15:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I keep a couple of large (2.5"?) safety pins on each bike. On most bikes
they're pinned under the lid of the handlebar bag. On the one bike with
a basket instead, they're clipped to the brake cables - even though I've
never needed them on that bike. It's specifically set up to never harm
my pants cuffs.

One problem is rust. Our grocery run last week was the first one in
months chilly enough for long pants. I rolled out the driveway with
unpinned cuffs, then stopped a block away to pin them. The safety pins
had rusted enough they were difficult to get out of the handlebar bag's
fabric.

When I got home, I exchanged the steel safety pins for brass ones. I'm
sure they won't rust, but there's another problem: They are thicker,
probably because the brass is weaker than steel. They're actually harder
to push through denim.

I'm still wishing for high strength titanium safety pins. Maybe hollow
ones to save more weight. ;-)

I have a more-modest impossible dream: I'd like safety pins labeled
with the diameter of the pin, as straight pins are.

Brass pins don't rust, but they do corrode, and patina is just as
permanent in fabric as rust is -- though not as rough when you try to
pull the pin out.

I carry an assortment of pins stuck into the fabric of my wallet,
which eliminates both rust and corrosion. But I wasn't wearing a
jersey or carrying a purse, so I didn't have my wallet.

Of course, there are also safety pins stuck into my jeans-pocket
wallet, but I particularly wanted the brass pins stuck into my jeans.

Not to mention that I had forgotten that I was carrying a wallet. My
paper and plastic were in the "passport pockets" of my jeans, and the
wallet and phone were in the pocket on general principles.

All of which reminded me to get up and put a few pennies into the
pocket wallet. When I paid cash for the coriander, I tried to give
exact change, and couldn't.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net