Old June 11th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default 9 sp HG cassette vs. Ultegra cassette

"AMuzi" wrote in message
bcdrums wrote:
The next time I replace my chain I will replace my 9 speed cassette
too, it's looking worn. I have a Shimano 13-25 cassette now, will
replace it with a 14-25 (which adds a midrange 18T between 17T &
19T).

This cassette seems to be available in two models, a HG-50 for $31,
and an Ultegra for $96. The two cassettes are almost identical in
weight, only a 2g difference and are identical in cog configuration.
For me, it seems the obvious choice is the HG at $31. It is hard to
believe that the HG Ultegra will last three times longer than the HG,
or shift three times better. Is there something I am missing?

The cassette will go onto an Ultegra hub that is about 5 years old.
Is there any compatibility issue?

While it may not matter to you, the individual sprockets of a HG-50
may be swapped around but not on the CS-6500, which has rivetted
carriers.

For 2g and $65 I would suggest the HG-50. Or a SRAM product.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I remain unimpressed with SRAMs consistency... or lack of. It's rare
that swapping out a (new) Shimano cassette for another (new) cassette
fixes anything, but I've had this happen too many times with SRAM to
believe their QC is where it should be. This is across-the-board; the
first bunch of uber-high-end XX cassettes had cogs that were machined
just a bit too wide.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com