Old August 31st 18, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Interesting Article On How Cars Took Over the Road

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 4:48:00 PM UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
The drivers and riders of motor vehicles - and cyclists - are
obliged to give way to pedestrians crossing any road into which they
are turning in both the UK and the USA.

Being obliged to give way to pedestrians who are actually crossing (ie
they're already in the road) makes a lot of sense, on a best-endeavours
basis if not a legal obligation, just as you would do you best to avoid
someone crossing anywhere else. But does UK and US law actually require you
to stop for someone who is waiting on the pavement to cross: is there a
portion of every road junction which has *implicit* zebra-crossing rules?

As a pedestrian, I would never step off the pavement unless I could see that
the road was clear: I would never *make* a car stop for me with the single
exception of a zebra crossing.

This is just the 'the roads are for cars' attitude I hate.
I have nothing against cars but roads are for people not machinery.

Their driver-parents hardly ever notice but small kids are so happy to see a human face, _anything_ besides cars on the street, they struggle and twist in their restraining seats to watch pedestrians and cyclists.

Pedestrians, equestrians and cyclists are the most important road users in that order.

It's never discussed in any study but you cannot overestimate the long term value to society of anything that entertains and educates small children.. Kids are action junkies and need to be entertained every second they are awake. When my dad got a day with his grand kids he would stay up the night before planning on dozens of places to go and things to do.

Looking at cars on the street just doesn't do the trick.

As evidenced by the ubiquitous "Are we there yet?".