Old September 17th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default SRAM eTap Blips - Question

On 9/16/2018 7:30 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:54:57 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/16/2018 12:39 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:32:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

FWIW, I had to fabricate a plug for an oddball 12V DC connector for an
old piece of equipment. After cobbling together the metal contacts, I
used Sugru to mold a rubberish plug that held the contacts in the right
position. It's worked well.

Yep, that will work. I've used Sugru a few times but found it to be
rather expensive. So, I use RTV, Devcon something hard rubber molding
goo, Bondo (for a rock hard connector),
https://makezine.com/projects/make-40/fond-o-bondo/
various casting compounds, some weird stuff I picked up at a crafts
fai
https://www.smooth-on.com
urethane molding goo, acrylic resin, etc. For contacts, I use the
remains of the old power connector, or I fabricate something out of
brass strips, tubing, and shrink tube for insulation. Just about any
casting compound will work, as long as you use sufficient mold release
to keep it from sticking to the form. I made about ten crude power
connectors using slightly tapered holes drilled into a block of wood
as a form. The first 10 connectors came out of the mold easily.
However, I forgot to add more mold release on the 2nd batch and had to
chisel the connectors out of the forms. No matter how much I sand or
tape the shells, I continue to get splinters in my fingers when I
forget and just grab the shell.

I agree, the Sugru stuff is very expensive. When I heard about it I
thought "Oh, I'll buy some to try..." but the price seemed exorbitant.
Then I was given a pack of six or eight little sample envelopes as a
birthday gift. I've used two of them, and they worked well, but I notice
the rest are now past their expiration date.

Bondo seems like a good idea. A friend showed me that it's probably the
best wood filler available, assuming you'll be painting instead of
staining and varnishing. If you time it right, you can sand it to shape
very easily while it's partially set.

Bondo usually refers to the polyester based body filler used to repair
autos, but 3M now makes a "Bondo Wood Filler" specifically for wood
working. They - 3M - also make a number of other products for wood
working, for example a " Bondo® Rotted Wood Restoration" which can be
used to harden rotted wood it is impractical to cut it all away.

Interesting. I have a can of the car body filler, so I'll probably
continue to use it until it's gone - which will probably be after I'm
gone. But it's good to know about the alternatives.

--
- Frank Krygowski