Old September 18th 18, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 00:27:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Grant Peterson recently publicized an interesting trick. In his example,
the delicate cargo was an expensive camera of some kind.

He was using a bike with a metal front basket. He used two cargo nets.
One he stretched across the top of the basket to form a sort of
trampoline. The camera sat on top of that net, suspended above the baset
floor. The other net went above the camera to hold it down and keep it
from bouncing out.

It seemed to me that would work pretty well, assuming you had a basket
on your bike.

I used a similar trick to carry a ripe tomato over Smith Street before
they paved it. (And narrowed it by painting a fog line a couple of
feet inside the other fog line and calling the space between a "bike
lane", but that is another story.)

The tomato was in a plastic bag in the bottom of a pannier.

I put the hooks of a bungee out through the holes in the wire pannier,
one end on each side of the reflector bolted through the hinge,
brought the ends over the top of the basket, and hooked them to the
other end. Then I lifted the middle of the outside bungee over the
middle of the inside bungee, repeating until it was twisted so tightly
that the eyelet in the middle was just barely big enough to pull the
handles of the plastic bag through. I pulled on the handles until the
tomato was snug against the bungee, then tied the handles to the rack
to keep it there. This naturally pulled the tomato toward the rack,
so I fastened the other bungee by its middle to the middle of a side
the same way I'd attached the first bungee to an end, brought it over
the top of the side, and hooked the ends over the twisted bungee to
pull it back the other way.

Nowadays I use the trick for delicates too large to be kept from
swinging into the sides of the pannier, so instead of using a second
bungee, I damp the oscillations by lightly stuffing a plastic bag with
crumpled plastic bags, putting the handles through a hole close to
where the cargo might bump, and tying off elsewhere to hold them in
place. Wedged in by the cushions, the cargo doesn't swing.

It's lucky that I don't need this trick very often; it cuts way down
on what else I can carry in that pannier.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---