Old March 17th 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default More About Lights

On 3/16/2017 8:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 2:13:53 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 16/03/17 16:44, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 5:40:55 PM UTC-4, James wrote:

At creeping speeds (less than 10km/h), I could see holes with a
candle light.

Must be nice to be blessed with such perfect vision! many of us find
that we need a prety bright light in order to see where we're going
and the obstacles to avoid at night. that's not to mention that it's
nice to be able to see critters on theroads or trails in time to slow
or stop to avoid running over them. Personally, I like a supplemental
High beam light so that ican see a longer way down an unlit very dark
road on a moonless night so I can see the skunks at the side of the
road or on the road well BEFORE I startle them. YMMV

If you need a high beam light to see enough not to bump in to things at
night while you are moving at less than 10km/h ( 6 miles/h), you have
really poor eyesight. Do you walk with a white cane?

What do you mean by a high beam light? Personally, I need more than a candle to see holes in wet pavement, blow-down and gravel even when creeping along at less than 10km. YMMV.

Seriously, if your headlight looks like a candle at 10kph, something is
wrong with your system. There is no speed low enough to make my light
so dim that I can't see potholes and road debris.

Have you put a meter on it yet?

--
- Frank Krygowski