Old November 6th 18, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Oregon judge: Bike lanes don't continue through intersections

On Monday, November 5, 2018 at 9:15:49 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
According to an Oregon judge, bike lanes don't legally exist in
intersections.

It's a bit odd, because car lanes do, even though (for practical
reasons) they are not marked. If you are driving in a lane just before
an intersection, you are expected to stay in that same unmarked lane
within the intersection and drive in the same lane past the
intersection. On a four-lane road, a motorist to your left is not
allowed to smash into you by changing lanes mid-intersection.

For a bike lane, this judge says it's different:
https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/17/...FVWPMeZZbRZuqo

This sounds like an excellent reason to leave the bike lane before an
intersection and claim the normal vehicle lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski

In the Waterloo Region of Ontario Canada many bicycle lanes end at an intersection. On top of that most of the bicycle lanes are in the door zone. Therefore I very seldom bother to use a bicycle lane. Heck, we even have curbside bicycle lanes the go part way onto the on ramp of a very busy highway (the Highway 401. Part way down that on-ramp you're supposed to stop and then walk across the lane. That's right where car drivers LEAST expect to see either a bicyclist or a pedestrian. I wonder who designs these things? At those on-ramp lanes I'm out of the bicycle lane and in the middle of the right hand trough-traffic lane.\

Common sense is sure not something the designers of bicycle lanes or roundabouts use here. Roundabouts too have their bicycle/pedestrian crossings just where cars are most likely to be speeding up and not expecting a person to be stepping off the curb.

Cheers