Old November 6th 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default relation between saddle height and horizontal position

On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 1:19:05 PM UTC-6, Emanuel Berg wrote:
If you radically increase the height of the
saddle, does it typically make sense to move
the saddle a bit forward as well? This is my
intuition but I have been wrong before.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

"Radically increase the height of the saddle"??? I suppose in reality, if you "radically" increase the height of the saddle, then you would need to worry a tiny bit about the offset of the saddle or position on the rails. But who radically adjusts the height of their saddle? Unless you are a teenage boy who stops riding for a few years, your height never ever changes enough to radically adjust your saddle height.

When I get a new bike to set the saddle height and offset, I shove the saddle all the way back on the rails. And set the saddle height to within +/- 0.5 inches of the correct height. I know my saddle height well enough and can look at saddles easy enough to tell about what is right. Not much guessing involved. And once the saddle is all the way back and about the right height, I go for a test ride around the block. And adjust the height a few millimeters. Another test ride and another adjustment. Maybe do that a few times. Then I never touch the saddle again. When you adjust the height a few millimeters, it makes no difference to the saddle offset.

I think you are making up things to worry about.