Old September 22nd 19, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default The vast majority of pedestrians who are killed or injured incollisions are hit by a motor vehicle, not a cycle

On 13/09/2019 10:16, Peter Keller wrote:
On 12/09/2019 23:19, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/09/2019 10:26, Peter Keller wrote:
On 12/09/2019 16:29, Bod wrote:

Policy Key Facts The vast majority of pedestrians who are killed or
injured in collisions are hit by a motor vehicle, not a cycle.

Hardly surprising. There are many more motor vehicles than bicycles.
Sadly.

Considering that cyclists are all law breakers (as we are repeatedly
told), one might be expected to believe it is not down to such simple
numbers.

Yes possibly.
Let's have some actual figures and research in order to prove something.

The best we have is that injuries are the same per vehicle-distance
travelled, ie, at face value, "law breaking" cyclists are no worse than
"law abiding" drivers.

The numbers also obviously have the deficiency of assuming motor
vehicles, cycles and people are spread uniformly over the country and
takes no account of the inherent lumpiness: there is no correlation
between casualties by vehicle-distance and casualties by population.