Old March 6th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

Default More About Lights

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 10:56:13 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Since you people have been talking about lights I've been looking. Like sms I really don't like the idea of having normal batteries that wear out quickly or the idea of always keeping your battery on charge.

This means you need a bulb generator or a hub generator. The hub generator seems a good answer but they don't appear to make half of the power of a bulb generator.

But that's a little hard to tell since they seem to have a great deal of trouble listing the output of the various dynamos.

You can get a 6 watt bulb generator but the hubs appear to all deliver 3 watts.

Now there are extremely efficient hubs that even Frank wouldn't have any trouble peddling in his old broken down and crippled state.

But when you look up the lights you find the same problem - you have a very difficult time finding power in and lumens out.

There are a few things that I really like the idea of in a commuter bike:

A front wheel hub generator - the German Schmidt which is extremely reliable and apparently is 78% efficient so Jorge could not complain that he is having trouble pedalling against the tide.

The Shimano Alfine is an 11-speed rear hub which has the decided advantage of being able to put a total cover chain guard around the entire chain and SINGLE SPEED front ring and still be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Now building this set of wheel would cost the better part of a thousand dollars and we're all a bunch of cheapskates.

But with bikes costing $5K+ I'm sure you could build the perfect commuter for half that amount.

Several items:
Scale heat by 1:1, because a light along with the driver circuit is not a theoretically perfect system. My package's heatsink can cool 20 watts of heat to stay under 65C on the hottest outside point for seven minutes, at 72F/ 21C. It stays under ~50C with only a 6mph/10kph airflow.
Patent number:8662697.

Burn time:
What if you had five or ten hours battery time at your generator's brightness? My Oculus gives at least that much brightness, and a quickly field replaceable battery so you can put in a fresh battery. Other rechargeables leave you out of light and out of luck when the battery drains.
Oculus also comes with a spare battery included.

Lumens per dollar: 1800/150 = 12.
Lumens per gram: 1800/205 (with 18650, bracket and strap included) = 8.8

Diffusers and arrays generate huge amounts of glare vs the usable visibility that they create in the primary field of view that the eyes pay attention to.

Btw MTBR is pay for play. Discreetly, obscurely, but pay for play for sure.. They also take deliberately altered pictures.
See:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2c?usp=sharing
These are pics that Francis posted on his personal Facebook with a defaming title and captions. Note the overexposure/underexposure of the far horizon blue tine, and white light dots in the distance. Also the biased center weighted versus full field light metering.
He pulled the pics and posting, but refuses to test my lights or make any mention of them on his websites. I'll put my Oculus 1800 against ANYTHING he thinks is the best of anything.
Side by side with the L&M Taz, along with the head of L&M, we see my light and the his light as neither absolute superiority in terms of the raw beam the lights put out. Roadies mostly prefer my beam over the Taz right away, some MTB riders like the Taz' beam.
Honest side by side beam pictures on trails and roads will show that, not the skewed crap in favor of a big MTBR support that Francis posted.