Old June 13th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On 12/06/2018 8:56 PM, James wrote:
On 13/06/18 08:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But now we have true global communication; and people emotional
evolution isn't up to it. We hear about someone on literally the
opposite end of the earth having wallaby problems while bicycling, and
many people seem to say "Damn! I'd better get better brakes on my
bike! No telling where those wallabies will pop out next!"

Strange. I don't recall hearing "many people" say that.Â* Not even
seeming to say it.Â* Are the voices you hear in your head, by chance?

Some skeptics look instead at the data on bike crash causes and say "I
might hit a dog once every million miles; less often if I watch out
for them. I think I'll just watch out for them."

But math is hard.

I ran over a wallaby's tail while descending a small mountain some years
back, and now that I live where there are a lot of wallabies and
kangaroos, I certainly do watch out for them.Â* I most certainly haven't
thought about getting better brakes, just as I haven't heard "many"
others say anything like that.

Perhaps I'm not hearing the same voices in my head as you, Frank.

I had an aligator cross highway 11 in front of me outside of New Orleans
once. He was a baby though, only 4 or 5 feet and seemed more concerned
with getting out of the sun than bothering me. I don't watch out for
them very much, especially as there aren't many in Quebec.

I did hit a cat a couple of years ago. Now if I see a cat on the side
of the road trying to cross I would probably stop and let it go rather
than assuming it would not jump into my wheel.

I'm not sure what this has to do with data tracking or chain waxing or
whatever. WRT brakes, I've heard people discuss the benefits of disc
brakes in wet but never as a solution to avoiding animals. Well except
the one that you already noted...